Stylists who do a lot of long-hair work, extensions, and bridal styles, know the value of an iron with an extra-long barrel. It allows more hair to be wrapped around while still providing enough surface area to heat all the hair thoroughly. The curling and Marcel irons at Sam Villa have particularly long barrels to make styling natural extensions and longer hair easier and faster. Lindsey Olson (@lindsey.marie.olson), Sam Villa ambassador, demonstrates how to prep longer hair with extra-long barrels in preparation for a modern French twist.
Modern French Twist
- Dry mousse with Redken Root Lifter to build volume (apply mousse, comb through, and blow dry).
- Apply Redken Thermal Spray for hold and protection to each section before curling.
- Using vertical sections, roll hair away from the face using a Sam Villa Artist Series 2-in-1 Marcel Iron and Wand (1.5 inches with extra-long barrel) and figure 6 technique. Prime the hair by rubbing the iron down the section to heat and then wrap and heat the base around the tong first, then the mids and ends to create maximum control over the style.
- Top: Use horizontal sections, with on base direction to create volume at the top. Hold 45 degrees above a 90-degree angle and roll away from face to heat, then clip to cool.
- Front: Roll towards the face 45 degrees above a 90-degree angle.
- Cool, remove clips, and break up texture with your fingers—this foundation creates the most longevity for an updo.
- Use just the barrel of the 1-inch Sam Villa Artist Series 2-in-1 Marcel Iron and Wand to spiral wrap sections to create multiple texture and dimension.
- Gather all hair to the back, brush with the hands, and use a small elastic to make a ponytail.
- Split tail with your fingers to create a gap and pull the hair halfway through the gap to create a roll and texture. Pull hair to the opposite side to create more tension and secure to the base with large pins.
- Pinch hair around the scalp to create extra texture. Finish with Redken Spray Wax for extra shine.