posted on: 04/12/2023
The champagne carpet dazzled at the Oscars—ethereal whites, bold purples, and even canary yellow gowns took center stage with bold red lips and high, tightly pulled back hair and longer organic or glammed locks. Cindy Duplantis, Sam Villa ambassador, Redken artist and celebrity stylist for Chatters Salon (@cindyduplantis), is a master at red-carpet hairstyles and breaks down how to create Florence Pugh’s ponytail with faux bangs and Jessica Chastain’s Hollywood waves.
How to Create Florence Pugh’s Ponytail with Faux Bangs—see here.
1. Apply hairspray to Sam Villa Signature Series Styling Brush and brush hair into a high ponytail; secure with an elastic. Hairspray helps tame flyaways.
2. Split ponytail into two sections, and use a Sam Villa Signature Series Spring Curling Iron 1.5” to curl the front section toward the face. Curl the back section toward back.
3. Split the front section into two sections and smooth the bottom section to lay flat onto the head. Secure with pins.
4. For the faux bangs, use hairspray and a Sam Villa Signature Series Comb to direct ends down (and to the side if bangs are long).
5. Lay the second section over top of the first section to hide the pins. Use more pins to secure. Finish with hairspray.
6. Take the back section and roll under; secure with pins. Make sure to widen that section to touch the top hair piece so it looks like one full updo.
7. Finish with hairspray.
How to Create Jessica Chastain’s Hollywood Waves
1. Apply styling mousse to dry hair, and with a thermal round brush and Sam Villa Vision Blow Dryer with the concentrator, smooth and add volume and shape around the face.
2. Using a Sam Villa Signature Series Spring 1.5 inch Curling Iron, curl sections away from the face.
3. Smooth by brushing with a styling brush and then spray the back of the brush with more spray and glide it over the waves to tame flyaways and add a high-glam polish.
Want more? Learn how to create Kasey Musgrave, Lavern Cox and Madonna’s Grammy looks, as well as Rihanna’s Super Bowl halftime style.
Sam Villa is co-founder and chief creative officer of the Sam Villa Company (Allvus, LLC), a leading education and styling tool company for the professional hair industry. He is also Global Artistic Ambassador for Redken 5th Avenue, a L’Oreal brand. Villa is the 2021 NAHA Educator of the Year, Hair Awards USA Hall of Fame Inductee, 2021 AHP Icon Stylist Influencer of the Year, 2020 International Hairdressing Awards ‘International Hair Influencer of the Year,’ the 2017 NAHA Lifetime Achievement Award Winner, Intercoiffure America/Canada Member, Behind the Chair Stylist Choice Award Winner for Favorite Platform Artist and Educator (2012, 2011 and 2007) and Favorite Overall Educator of the Year (2015). His inspiring education and innovative ergonomic styling tools can be experienced on samvilla.com.