Scarves are still popular, but if you’re looking for a new way to wear one, you’ve come to the right place. Sam Villa ambassador Ellen Devine (@ellendevinehair), breaks down one of the prettiest ways to wear a scarf.
“A big square silk scarf works best, one that’s fairly large because you want it to pass your natural hair length when you braid,” explains Devine.
How To: Crown Braid
- Brush hair with a Sam Villa Artist Series Finishing Brush to smooth, then create two low ponytails with a center part. Pull out face framing pieces.
- Fold a large square scarf into a triangle and then the long way until it’s 3 inches wide (oblong).
- Split hair above one elastic and feed the end of the scarf through. Repeat on other side.
- Divide hair on one side into two sections, then fashion a three-strand braid with the scarf being the third strand. Braid until natural hair ends and secure with elastic. Repeat on other side.
- Lift both braids above the head and wrap in the opposite direction. From here, either tie a bow or feed ends back down the other side of the braid, tucking in loose ends to create a crown.
- Pin the bottom back for extra hold.
“This is such an easy upstyle and priceless on a bad hair day!” Devine adds. For a fuller crown, randomly compress hair with a Sam Villa Textur Professional Texturizing Iron to add extra volume and grip, and then pancake (gently pull apart) braids for a more dramatic effect.
See Devine’s last IG Live with Sam Villa here. Explore more weekly FREE live education from Sam Villa and team here