Multiple-sized round brushes help build better volume
“A good blowout starts with good products,” says Twylla Jane (@twyllajane), Sam Villa ambassador, owner of Lumos Nox Salon, and Redken artist. Jane shares a technique for a bouncy blowout that uses four styling products and two different-sized thermal round brushes to achieve maximum lift and curl.
Before starting, Jane notes the following:
- The idea is to create lift at the root, shine on the mid-shaft, and curve at the ends.
- Increasing elevation at the crown and changing the brush size builds volume all around the head and tighter curls around the face.
- Stepping around the guest and asking them to tilt their head reduces fatigue—it’s less tiring to pull hair forward than to push it away.
- Use a light yet powerful blow-dryer like the Sam Villa Professional Light Ionic Blow Dryer; holding it by the barrel at times helps keep elbows down and wrists straight to reduce fatigue.
Bouncy Blow Out
- Apply Redken Root Lifter (or a root lifter of your choice with a medium hold) in 1-inch sections off the scalp. Work through with a Sam Villa Signature Series Paddle Brush to evenly distribute.
- Apply Redken Big Blow Out to mid-shafts and ends—this is a soft gel that melts into the hair, helps control frizz, and provides heat protection.
- Use a blow-dryer with the maximum airflow nozzle (which helps to dry thicker hair types faster) and the paddle brush to lift hair up and away from the scalp to dry the root area and build volume.
- Starting at the nape, switch to a Sam Villa Signature Series 2-inch Thermal Round Brush and, using 2-inch sections, smooth and dry hair to create a smooth, flexible wave.
- When finished with the section, roll it up and secure it with a Sam Villa Dry Sectioning Clip to cool.
- Towards the crown, switch to a 1.5-inch thermal round brush (and smaller sections) and over-direct hair 45 degrees for maximum volume. For the fringe area, roll hair half off the base and under-direct 45 degrees so it lays off-base.
- Use hairspray to help cool off the set and work Redken All Soft Argan 6 Oil through the hair with your hands to reduce frizz and add shine while raking though and positioning curls.
- To finish, spray Redken Brushable Hairspray from underneath and from the sides (never directly down the hair shaft), to help promote bounce and volume.