“Working with Aubrey Plaza for the Met Gala is a dream come true. I was so happy I got to style her hair for the big night! After seeing the stunning Stella McCartney gown she was going to wear, Aubrey and I immediately thought the hair should be up with some weight so we decided on a top knot inspired by a vintage Chanel fashion show.” —Mark Townsend, celebrity hair stylist
Step-by-Step Breakdown for Aubrey Plaza’s Met Gala Hair
- Mark started by generously spraying Kenra Platinum Blow Dry Spray throughout Aubrey’s wet hair to protect it from the heat-styling tools before proceeding with a rough dry. “This thermal protection spray is a great foundation, and you can then layer on other products,” he says.
- He then added Kenra Platinum Thickening Mousse 12 to her damp hair and blew it out with round brush. “I love how much volume and fullness I can get in Aubrey’s hair with this mousse, which means more for [me] to style!”
- To take her updo to the next level, Mark cut fresh curtain bangs on Aubrey and sprayed the Kenra Root Lifting Spray 13 throughout the bangs prior to blow-drying with a round brush. “Curtain bangs look best when they are full and not flat so when it came time to dry her new fringe, I sprayed Kenra Root Lifting Spray throughout,” Mark says.
- Before pulling her hair into the top knot, Mark sprayed Kenra Platinum Dry Texture Spray 6 on her hair. “This [spray] gave the hair great texture and hold which makes forming the top knot easier,” he says.
- He then secured her hair in a ponytail on the top of her head and wrapped the ponytail around the base that was secured with pins to match her dark hair.
- Once the top knot was secured, Mark sprayed it with Kenra Ultra Freeze Spray 30 to ensure it was secure all night.
- To add some bends to her fringe, he ran small sections of her hair through a flatiron. He then finished off by spraying Kenra Volume Spray 25 on top to keep them in place.
- Mark added a black ribbon at the front of the top knot to complete the look, giving Aubrey a vintage Chanel vibe!