One of the best things about festival season is the hair—the braids, texture, and color are so extra. Karla Valenzuela (@kolor.me. karlaa), Sam Villa ambassador and Redken artist, shares how to create colorful festival waves for the season.
“The key to creating festival looks is allowing your artistic side to take over . . . use color, accessories, and pieces, have fun with it,” says Valenzuela.
- Get colorful—it’s the perfect excuse to mix and match multiple colors; think unicorn. Valenzuela was trying to mimic the color swirls that float on top of oil for this model.
- Pack a compact USB chargeable Sam Villa Pro Results Cordless Flat Iron before hitting the road and use it for touchups. It stays charged for 45 minutes!
- High ponytails, braids, space buns, and twists are great for keeping hair out of the face. These styles are also low maintenance.
- Accessorize—flowers, sparkles, butterflies, feathers, you name it.
Colorful Festival Waves
- Work in Redken Big Blow Out Jelly and blow dry with a Sam Villa Signature Series Thermal Round Brush 1.5”.
- Apply Redken Thermal Spray 11 in sections and curl hair with Sam Villa Artist Series 2-in-1 Marcel Iron & Wand 1”.
- Use vertical sections and alternately curl hair away and towards the face.
- Use a Sam Villa Artist Series Finishing Brush to smooth waves.
- Spray Redken Dry Texture Spray and work through for added texture and volume.
Sam Villa is co-founder and chief creative officer of the Sam Villa Company (Allvus, LLC), a leading education and styling tool company for the professional hair industry. He is also Global Artistic Ambassador for Redken 5th Avenue, a L’Oreal brand. Villa is the 2021 NAHA Educator of the Year, Hair Awards USA Hall of Fame Inductee, 2021 AHP Icon Stylist Influencer of the Year, 2020 International Hairdressing Awards ‘International Hair Influencer of the Year,’ the 2017 NAHA Lifetime Achievement Award Winner, Intercoiffure America/Canada Member, Behind the Chair Stylist Choice Award Winner for Favorite Platform Artist and Educator (2012, 2011 and 2007) and Favorite Overall Educator of the Year (2015). His inspiring education and innovative ergonomic styling tools can be experienced on samvilla.com. The Sam Villa brand brings free digital education to everyone including hot tips and techniques, as well as access to livestreamed educational events. The company also offers professional tools for consumers so they can achieve salon-quality results at home with minimal effort.