Calling all cosmetologists and barbers! Help shape the next generation of hairstylists. The California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology (Board) and the California Department of Consumer Affairs’ Office of Professional Examination Services are recruiting licensed cosmetologists and barbers to help with the ongoing development of the California hairstylist licensing examination.
Cosmetologists and barbers will serve as subject matter experts (SMEs) during exam development workshops. SMEs with diverse levels of experience and practice settings will be most beneficial. Licensees with fewer than five years of experience are particularly necessary so the hairstylist licensure exam can be crafted with an entry-level perspective.
The Board is seeking licensees who:
- Hold a current California cosmetologist or barber license
- Provide hair services in a California-licensed establishment
- Have not received a violation from the Board within the past five years
- Are not currently school instructors or owners
- Agree to comply with all applicable health and safety laws and regulations and the state agency’s specific health and safety requirements and policies
The Board provides $100 per workshop day for participation. Some workshops may be virtual, but SMEs who attend in person will receive reimbursement for meals and other travel expenses. If you are interested in participating, review the recruitment flyer and application here.