“I’m in love with finishes that have a mix of textures. The smooth crown and massive volume of this extended ponytail just screams joy to me,” says Al Campbell (@al_alexander), Sam Villa Ambassador and owner of D Alexander Studios. He uses a mix of Sam Villa tools, Mizani products, and extensions to create this giant tail.
Tools: Limited Edition Ruby Red Sam Villa Light Professional Ionic Blow Dryer and Signature Series Sleekr Professional Straightening Iron, paddle brush, tail comb, dry sectioning clips, hair ties/large elastics, bobby pins.
Products: Mizani HRM Humidity Resistant Mist Spray and Mizani HD Shyne.
Accessories: 1–2 bundles of 14-inch textured/curly hair extensions.
- Start with freshly cleansed and blow-dried hair.
- Smooth hair using the Sleekr and a tail comb.
- Section hair into three sections (1. back/nape; 2. ear to ear/middle/crown; 3. front)
- Use a tail comb to gather hair in the back section into a small ponytail and hold with one hand. Spray Mizani HRM on hair, then directionally blow-dry and set dry molding in place for the first ponytail.
- Repeat Step 3 for both middle and front sections, dry molding them to blend with the back section. The result should be three overlapping ponytails that give the impression of one.
- With loose hair from the ponytail, create a 3-strand braid and secure with an elastic.
- Secure one end of the bundle’s weft into the end of the braid near the elastic with a pin (open end up). Wrap weft very taut around the braid until reaching the base of ponytail and secure with pin (open end down).
- Take about a 1-inch strand from the base of ponytail and wrap around to disguise the pin and elastic. Use Mizani HRM and blow dryer to dry mold into place. Secure with pins as needed.
- Use a Sam Villa Signature Series Paddle Brush to blend and fluff the pony, starting at the ends and working toward the base. Set with Mizani HRM.
Looking for more great inspiration from AHP?
AHP Indie Stylist magazine is a digital publication created to speak directly to you, the independent hair stylist and barber.
In every issue of AHP Indie Stylist magazine:
- The Feed: A curated list of industry influencers
- The Buy: The scoop on new professional retail products
- The Spark: Inspiring stories of perseverance
- The Rules: Expert tips and advice for running an independent business
- Plus: Profiles of top stylists, styling techniques, trends, and so much more